Sunday, August 15, 2010

Who decides it is art?


I am fascinated at the concept of deciding something is or is not art. More importantly who makes those decisions for us. I tend to feel like art critiques are like meteorologists that try to control the weather. So when someone displays art in a public place it always makes me stop and look. I love when art is put in windows for sale or to entice someone into coming in for a closer look. Sometimes I like to think of the art in the windows as trapped and only my camera can set it free. I also like reflections. Reflections remind me that there is always another dimension to something and it takes effort to see it for what it is and what it can tell us about something. Understanding that there are many dimensions to everything is a good way to train you eye to see what you may call art.

1 comment:

Rick Kilby said...

Just borrowed this from someone's website:

1. Style is the art of getting yourself out of the way, not putting yourself in it.

2. Be kind, for everyone you know is fighting a hard battle.

3. You must be the change you wish to see in the world.

4. Man makes plans, God laughs.

5. All art is autobiographical; the pearl is the oyster's autobiography.

6. Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

7. Living well is the best revenge.

8. In art, as in life, everyone is the hero of their own particular story.

9. Charity begins at home, but should not end there.